Interviews patients via the telephone to obtain necessary identification and billing information and keys information into computer database system (Epic). The following are general characteristics of this job, although duties and responsibilities may vary according to assigned shift or area.
1. Attends annual Mission program and participates in and support department mission program activities. Integrates the OSF Mission, Values and Vision into daily work life by actions as well as by words. Develops trusting relationships with all encountered in daily work through positive interactions as well as open and honest communication. Listens to all of those we serve with respect and compassion in order to first understand and then respond appropriately to their needs in a timely manner.
2. Demonstrates an understanding of the link between effective team work and the Mission, Vision and Values of the organization. Offers help and encouragement to other employees. Treats others with courtesy and offers assistance appropriately.
3. Demonstrates good organizational skills in coordinating services with co-workers and other departments/services. Responds to stressful situations in a calm and rational manner, and cooperates with all to facilitate integration of services.
4. Respects the confidentiality rights of patients/employees/guests. Discusses confidential information only in appropriate settings and only when necessary. Demonstrates an understanding of "need to know" with respect to confidential and private information.
5. Conforms to the personnel policies, safety, work and compliance practices that govern the position.
6. Attends required meetings and participates effectively in groups as requested. Completes annual mandatory requirements. Effectively participates in departmental quality improvement initiatives.
7. Interviews patients and/or patient representatives via telephone in a courteous, kind and professional manner to obtain demographic, financial and personal information such as patient's name, address, date of birth, social security number, telephone number, occupation, emergency contact, name of attending/referring physicians, guarantor and insurance carriers responsible for reimbursement of bill. Obtains all primary and secondary insurances. Request email address and introduces OSF MyHealth. Complies with all HIPAA privacy regulations.
8. Verifies insurance coverage in Epic or by calling insurance companies and obtains all necessary referrals and/or authorizations prior to visit. When necessary mails w/comp and auto forms to patient for completion prior to visit.
9. Reminds patients and/or patient representatives of co-pay at time of service.
10. Confirms appointment date, time and location at the end of every call. If applicable reminds patient to bring any imaging with them to their visit.
11. Is responsible for keeping the insurance log up to date for accuracy of coverage and co-pay information.
12. Performs related clerical duties such as filing, photocopying materials, answering telephones, relaying messages and so forth.
13. Assists with front office functions of the practice providing clerical support as needed. Performs other duties as assigned.
14. Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with department and Medical Center personnel and outside agencies.
15. Supports and is involved in continuous quality improvement efforts designed to increase patient outcomes, increase patient satisfaction, and improve the utilization of human, capital, and physical resources.
These competencies are
at a level normally acquired through completion of high school.
office experience in billing, collections, coding, and experience in using
medical terminology is preferred for this position.
Ability to read, write and demonstrate competency in using multiple software
programs to complete the patient information and billing process.
Interpersonal skills necessary in order to effectively and professionally
interact with patients, with regard to personal and financial information.
necessary in order to effectively and professionally interact with employers,
insurance companies and third party payers.
All interactions with patient's families, ancillary personnel and
patient representatives are professional and comply with HIPAA regulations.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Applicants will be afforded equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin or ancestry, age physical or mental handicap unrelated to ability or an unfavorable discharge from military service.
Experience the OSF culture and community by clicking here.
Job seekers will be afforded equal opportunity regardless of their race, ethnicity, veteran status or disability status.